So far I have noted down what I think are all the things I need to do to release a piece of music on a digital label. I put them in a very ‘rough’ order here below.
I’m certain there will be other things that pop up along the way that I don’t know about about yet, so I’ll add at the end of this series a complete ‘To Do List’ in the correct order. For now it’s good enough to work with.
1 Decide on Name //
(Records, Music, Recordings, Digital Audio)
2 Register the name at Companies House //
3 Decide on Image, Artwork, Branding //
– Do I have the right designer?
– Can they produce at the right rate for the amount of releases I want to hit per year?
– Can I afford it?
4 Decide on tracks for 1st EP release and think about the direction of the label’s sound //
– Remembering though, you can’t think your way to a ‘sound’, it is a process that keeps evolving
5 Create All The Online Platforms //
6 Create a solid ‘Marketing Plan’ (which reflects how much I am gonna spend on the label) //
– think about other avenues for getting paid, like Merchandise etc..
7 Find the right Distributor //
– Press and Play
8 Tart everything up and get ready to hit the Distributor to seal the ‘distribution deal’ //
– What do I need to show them to sell myself?
– Get advise from friends here for sure
9 Register with MCPS – PRS (PRS For Music) //
(Mechanical Copyright Protection Society and the Performing Rights Society)
– Who are they, what do they do?
10 Sort out the Barcodes + ISRC (International Standard Recording Code) //
– Note: Can be encoded by the Mastering Engineer or by the Distributor
11 Register with the PPL (Phonographic Performance Limited) //
– Need to look into this one. If I remember rightly I need to have a release already.
– Do I actually need to register?
12 Register A Copyright //
– Look at ‘Poor man’s copyright’
13 Writeup a ‘Sound Recording Contract’ //
– Look into Music Lawyers
– Do I need one?
14 Create ‘Promo Campaign’ for the first release //
– Supposedly this is the hard bit
15 Release! //
So being realistic here, now I have written that all down and I can see a little more clearly what I have to do. Lets say, I’ll aim for Christmas 2020. That way if I get it done anytime before then, it’s a bonus. Happy days.
Show some love and support for Kat Nine by liking, following and sharing on social media platforms – Facebook, SoundCloud etc…
Icon links to Kat’s media platforms located to the right hand side of the website